One of the richest countries in the world by per capita GDP terms, Austria, has an area of 83,871km2, and is inhabited by 8,712,137 residents. The country signed the Schengen agreement on 28 April 1995. However, it started its implementation more than two years later on 1 December 1997.
Austria is located in the central Europe, and is bordered by 8 countries, more than most of the other European countries. Its capital, Vienna, remains one of the top European destinations for travelers.
What Documents Are required when applying for an Austrian Schengen tourist or visitor Visa?
The following list of documents are required for any short-term Austrian Schengen visa application:
- Austrian visa application form. Fill it completely and with sincerity. Do not forget to sign it at the end after you print it.
- Two identical photos. The photos should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background. See photograph requirements & specifications.
- Your passport/Travel document:
- Valid for at least 3 months beyond your planned date of departure from Austria (the Schengen zone).
- No older than 10 years.
- And it should contain at least two blank pages.
- Copies of your previous Schengen visas (if applicable)
- A cover letter. In which you state the purpose of visit to Austria and you present a detailed trip itinerary.
- Round-trip Flight Itinerary. Containing the dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Austria.
- Schengen Travel Insurance. Confirmation that you have travel insurance for Austria and the whole territory of Schengen, with a minimum 30,000 € coverage of medical emergencies.
Travel health insurance policies for foreigners travelling to Austria that fulfil Austrian Visa requirements can be purchased online from AXA Assistance or Europe Assistance. Both companies are accepted by Austrian Embassies and Consulates worldwide.
- Proof of accommodation. I.e. Hotel reservation for the whole duration of the intended stay in Austria. Find and Book Cheap Hotels in Austria!
- Proof of civil status. This could be a marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, etc.
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Austria.